Counting Our Blessings

25.6.2016 | 01:41

Thank You.

Yeah, I know – I just talked about gratitude a few weeks ago.

But you know something?  You can’t be too grateful.

The more you express your gratitude, the more the Universe gives you for which to be grateful.

Yes, we’ve had our share of challenges this year, but you know what?

Sometimes it’s good to stop a moment, and feel gratitude for those.

Why?

Because they can be our best teachers.

And here’s the thing:

We all have challenges.

Chances are, any stranger you pass on the street is struggling with something.

Debra and I have lost two cats in the past couple of months, but we’re overwhelmed with gratitude that we had them in our lives at all.

We still have two, and they continue to bring joy into our lives.

And we wouldn’t have wanted Finn or Opal to suffer, just so we wouldn’t have to say good-bye.  We were grateful to be able to let them go with love….

I am so very lucky to have the opportunity to live in a town I love – and to be healthy enough to take advantage of all it has to offer.

I can walk to the library – and carry a load of (free!!) books and movies home on my back.

Because I have enough strength, mobility and energy to do that.

I can walk up to a healthy grocery store on a warm, sticky morning and carry my groceries home.

Can you even imagine what a gift that is?

Not to mention that lower carbon footprint….

(Especially regarding the library – those are books and movies we don’t have to buy, therefore requiring fewer resources.)

Idea.

I felt particularly blessed last weekend, for having a well-timed “light bulb” moment.

As we were driving home (on a gorgeous sunny, breezy, not-too-warm day – a true gift in NC in June!!) from a lunch date with friends, I suggested we stop at the local mall.

There’ve been a lot of changes made to that mall since we lived here a couple of years ago, and we hadn’t had a chance to check them out since moving back.

On a lark, we decided to check the gluten-free section of a local gourmet specialty food store.  (It’s kind of a local institution – been here for decades.)

We weren’t expecting to find much – we don’t buy a lot of processed, packaged gluten-free products – but we thought we’d take a look, since we were there.

We stumbled over an amazing range of alternative flours – not your usual grains or nuts – which we knew we’d have to try.

After all, we’re trying to create some great-tasting recipes for our upcoming gluten program – and some people can’t tolerate any grains, while others can’t digest nuts.

A lot of people are flat-out allergic to nuts….

As we were gathering an armful of goodies to bring home to our test kitchen, a very helpful sales associate asked if we were finding what we needed.

Oh boy, were we ever….

We chatted for a few minutes, and she gave us the manager’s name and email address.

The manager would like us to talk to her staff about gluten-free foods and diets sometime in early July.

Could the timing of this be any better?

We’re finding amazing substitutes for wheat (and even gluten-free grains), we’re making connections and creating opportunities….

Just in time to put all of this together into something really special.

Yeah, you can just bet that we are basking in gratitude and counting our many, many blessings….

1. Cherie
    June 26, 2016 | 1:18 am

That’s really cool! Shows how we always need to be open to opportunities! I agree about being grateful, especially on the days that it can be a challenge to find one.

June 26, 2016 | 11:02 pm

Cherie, I know, you just never know which opportunity will turn into the important ones. Gratitude can definitely be challenging at times, but Diane and I are making an effort to practice it.

2. DrRitamarie
    June 26, 2016 | 4:44 am

I can’t wait to see the recipes you come up with Its so refreshing to know that you’re going to be teaching truly health oromotiung alternatives to gluten rather than the refined non gluten free sugar laden stuff that fills the shelves

And yes to gratitude Looking at the silver lining us good for your hormones, immune system and digestion And I appreciate that gratitude is free

June 26, 2016 | 11:05 pm

Dr. RM — I’m totally enjoying the recipe development challenge, to stay away from the higher-glycemic alternative flours. The first recipe came out terrific the first time. The second will need a little more work. Both recipes used absolutely no sweetener but had a sweet taste. Good to know that gratitude has so many positive effects all over the body and I love what you say about it being free! 🙂

June 27, 2016 | 4:53 am

Attitude of gratitude. I am grateful I connected with you and your sister. High five

June 27, 2016 | 1:45 pm

The same to you, my friend. Knuckles. 🙂

4. Andrea Caprio
    June 30, 2016 | 12:50 am

I love to be grateful for all these little things in life and it seems you are too 🙂 It makes me appreciate life so much more

June 30, 2016 | 3:28 pm

Oftentimes it’s the small things that make the bigger difference. In complete agreement with you.

July 2, 2016 | 7:38 pm

That great! Another g word! This speaks to me as we have nut allergies in our family and we are gluten free. Your mission is a valuable one!

July 2, 2016 | 11:39 pm

Thank so much, Brad. We appreciate the support!