Rough Patches

28.5.2016 | 23:27

Idea.

I wrote my usual blog article yesterday, due to be posted today.

I was having second thoughts by bedtime, thinking it just wasn’t … right.  It didn’t seem to be the right topic at the right time.

Or maybe it was just clumsily written.

The idea had seemed good at the time of writing, but in retrospect … meh.

Debra agreed.

She read through it this morning, and she didn’t feel it was up to snuff either.

So I scrapped it.

I’d rather be a day late – or miss a scheduled post – than share a truly inferior article.

No, I’m not a perfectionist, but I do have pretty high standards.

It’s been a rough spring.

As many of you know, we lost one of our cats at the same time we were moving several hours away.  As if the general stress of moving house wasn’t bad enough, we had to say good-bye to our beloved Finn, whom we’d had since she was a feral kitten.

Finn_on_blanket

The weather has been … insane.

It seems like there’s been no “normal” spring weather this year – it’s either been early summer or return of winter.

One week we’d have all the windows open, letting the home get nice and toasty, and the next week we’d have to turn the heat back on, because of cold and dreary skies….

Yes, sometimes that’s just “spring in North Carolina,” but this year has seemed more extreme than usual.

(A few weeks ago, we barely cracked 60° F – this week we were hovering around 90° F for a few days….)

Yesterday we started the day with another sick cat, one who was diagnosed with IBD not long before our move.

IMG_0233

We weren’t sure she was going to make the move either, but she’d been doing better.

The past week or so, though … not so much.

Major flare-up.

As if that weren’t enough, one of the smoke alarms went on the fritz.

You know this one:  *beep, beep, beep* (pause) *beep, beep, beep*

1346451

The rental agent couldn’t get here for about four hours.  *beep, beep, beep*

Debra tried to switch out the battery – it doesn’t have one.  And one of the wires came loose, and wouldn’t reattach.  Nor would the smoke alarm refasten to the ceiling.

Hence, the call to the rental agent….

(Turns out it was a different, nearby smoke alarm, not that one, but still – an extra nuisance, on an already bad day.)

And then today….

I decided to christen a new shirt I hadn’t had the chance to wear yet:  organic cotton, exquisite rose color, beautiful flowing style, lightweight and comfortable on another warm day….

We got back from our errands, and I was struggling to reopen the patio door – the latch sticks, and it sometimes takes some … finessing.  (That’s French for … hammering maybe, or hitting, or … you get the picture.)

IMG_0264

One of our other cats jumped on her tower next to me, lost her balance, and –

Dug her claws into me.

I heard the fabric rip as I yelped in pain, scaring the poor cat who’d already dropped to the floor.

I managed not to bleed on the shirt – it usually takes a while before cat scratches well up and start to flow – but there were three impressive little holes.

IMG_0265

In my brand-new, never-before-worn, gorgeous shirt – the one I was planning to take to events because it was so lovely and flattering….

No, I’m not mad at my cat.  She didn’t mean any harm, and I reassured her that she wasn’t in trouble.

But I’m only human, and I don’t have a very large wardrobe to begin with – and very little of what I have is really nice enough for public appearances.

And now I’m down one article….

Yeah, I was a little upset.

I’ve been having wardrobe issues for some time now.

(A pair of shoes literally came apart a week or two ago – I mean, literally.  The rubber sole just … completely detached from the part of the shoe above it.  Fortunately I was home at the time, not power-walking around the neighborhood.

They were several years old, sure.  But they’d served me well, and were still in good condition.

They were also comfortable to walk in…. *sigh*)

So yeah, I’m taking a break from talking about gluten this week.  I’ve been going through a rough patch, and gluten just isn’t the first subject on my mind.

Thanks for allowing me to share with you – if you’re going through a rough patch, I know you’ll understand.

And we’re here to help you through yours.

I just might not be wearing my best shirt….

T-Shirt.

1. Vin Libassi
    May 29, 2016 | 12:08 pm

It’s become normal to have more responsibility than we think we can handle. In panic mode, we try to calm the human down lest we wig out and incapacitate ourselves entirely. If we put our priorities in order, the cat gets sick or the car breaks and we tear up the list. Now we write the list upside down and un-prioritize. So I don’t get the blog out “in time”. It’s a blog, not a commuter train. The smoke alarm is driving me crazy. Borrow a sledge hammer from the neighbor. My new shirt has cat claw scars on it. It’s a shirt!

If we leave it all hanging in favor of keeping our sanity, well, that’s a decision based on where sanity is on the priorities. We can at least reevaluate the discriminatory evaluations like, “it’s not right” or “not up to snuff” or “clumsy” and even “the shoes should have lasted longer. Truth or judgment? Admit it, we say these things not even knowing what snuff has to do with it. In the end, you wrote a thought provoking page, heartfelt and inspired by the very things you wish had gone another way; and nobody knows if it isn’t more in tune than what you thought you “should” have written. You know what I think about that practice – I recommend not shoulding on yourself. I enjoyed the surrogate blog.

May 29, 2016 | 6:56 pm

Excellent insights as always, Vin. I’d have seriously considered the sledgehammer approach to the smoke alarm except for the little detail of this being a rental unit, ha ha. Diane and I know that some of this is just “stuff,” but just the Universe showing its sense of humor when it comes to timing. The other blog post wasn’t the right fit, and Diane got the better article for it all. We’re definitely on board with the “not shoulding” on ourselves. 🙂 Debra

2. Michele
    May 29, 2016 | 4:29 pm

First let me say how sorry I am for the loss of your beloved fur baby. I’ve been there and it’s rough to say the least.

Loved this article! It does seem like challenges come all at once sometimes and it’s not easy to process and it’s tempting to just stay in bed with the covers over our head. However, I also like to think that these situations come because it is believed that we can handle them even though we ourselves don’t quite believe that. It’s like a promotion. It wouldn’t be given to you if you couldn’t handle it. In my mind I like to think of it as a complement. It’s like gee thanks for the vote of confidence lol. I don’t know how realistic it is to think that way but it helps give me more of an edge to get through it:)

By the way I have cats also and have experienced being accidentally scratched and wow its painful. Burns really lol.

May 29, 2016 | 7:00 pm

Thank you for the condolences, Michele. Excellent insight here, and I especially love what you say about promotions, because I’ve felt that way. Heck, I felt that way when I started my first job as a pharmacist — it was a case of “faking it until making it,” lol. Diane’s doing well after the scratching incident, as is the cat. 🙂 Debra

3. Donna
    May 30, 2016 | 12:46 am

Sounds like you have been having a lot of “fun”. Really sorry about you fur baby. It is so hard to lose one or have a sick one. Both of mine are getting up there in age and so not looking forward to that day.

May 30, 2016 | 3:17 pm

Donna — Yes, life has been a little “interesting” lately. Thank you so much for the support. Debra

May 31, 2016 | 5:26 am

I’ve had a few moments this year where I scrapped my post and wrote something new at the final hour. Good to hear you scrapped. This post was just what you needed.

Now, suck it up buttercup. Shake it up and get your groove back. We believe in you. I know that you know that you have many people to serve and gluten-free can wait a week. Thank you for sharing.

June 1, 2016 | 12:32 am

It’s gonna happen sometimes, isn’t it, Jace? Diane’s got her groove back in the latest post, and we’ll keep on with that gluten-free thing. 🙂

May 31, 2016 | 8:52 pm

Ooh! Ugghh! Ouch! Yup, a little rough patch but that could also be the foreshadowing of a great breakthrough. Often things get seemingly chaotic as we get close to that uncomfortable zone you wrote about recently.

There’s light ahead – keep on keeping on!

June 1, 2016 | 12:37 am

Brad — Upper limit thoughts from time to time, but keeping positive and visualizing great things. Life likes to throw in the challenges from time to time, to keep us from getting complacent, and what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger. I guess we’re working towards Wonder Woman after last Friday, lol! Seriously, we know there’s some serious light ahead and we’re looking forward to all of what’s coming — in spite of whatever hiccups come up. The ultimate successes will be worth it!

6. Bernadine
    June 1, 2016 | 1:51 pm

So sorry to hear about your fur baby. I think we all go through tough patches. This month with The magazine was a rough patch for me, but I hanged in there and gave it all I have. Thank you for sharing this article and hang in there because you are so worth everything in life and more!!

June 1, 2016 | 8:26 pm

Thank you, Bernadine. What I saw of the magazine last evening looked fabulous, but sorry to hear you were having a rough time with it. I know Diane appreciates the opportunity to keep submitting articles! Debra

7. Cherie
    June 2, 2016 | 4:56 pm

Preaching to the choir here, lol. I love some of the comments posted, great food for thought. Hope things are already turning around for the better! We’re here for you!

June 2, 2016 | 10:53 pm

Agreed, the comments on this post have been terrific. Things have definitely improved, thank you! Debra

8. Andrea Caprio
    June 5, 2016 | 2:53 pm

Thanks for sharing your rough patch, I had one too this week but not as rough. Positive thinking and your awesome optimism will certainly help. Hope next week will be better

June 5, 2016 | 11:16 pm

All of the same back to you, Andrea.