OMG, I’m Getting Bulletproof…

9.2.2016 | 00:03

I haven’t had coffee in years.

Well, occasionally as a minor ingredient in something else, but no Starbucks, no Maxwell House, not even Equal Exchange.

I loved it, but it did not like me.

I have no intentions of starting a new coffee habit.

Cup of coffee on coffee beans background

But….

I’ve also had a lot of frustration with dietary tweaks over the past many, many months.

Since I’ve been doing the NAET (Nambudripad’s Allergy Elimination Techniques) process, I’ve discovered that I’m sensitive or allergic (or whatever) to … all the “healthy” foods I’ve been eating.

First it was coconut.

Then it was avocado.

Now it’s butternut squash and/or sweet potato….

sweet potato

I swear, I am this close to trying the Standard American Diet, just to see if it works better for me.

Okay, maybe I’m not quite that desperate yet, but I’m starting to think a ketogenic diet might be my best option.

So I picked up a copy of Dave Asprey’s book, The Bulletproof Diet.

I haven’t had a chance to read it yet, but I’ve flipped through it and the accompanying cookbook.

The recipes look awesome, and pretty healthy.  (Okay, maybe not to a vegan.  But they recommend only very high-quality animal products.)

But I am not going to try Bulletproof™ Coffee.

However….

One of my absolute favorite hot drinks is Guayaki’s Maté Chocolatte (note from Debra – just saw where they’ve discontinued all the flavors).  I love the stuff.

Now, when I was flipping through Dave’s book, I noticed that this dude has a heap of common sense –

He gets the idea that … wait for it … women have different needs than men do.

I know.

Radical, isn’t it?

He mentions that women might need a bit of protein after their Bulletproof™ Coffee.  Or they might want to add some collagen powder to it….

Hmm….

So how about steeping some yerba maté, and adding some chocolate protein powder along with the ghee and (Bulletproof™) Brain Octane Oil?

I’d already discovered how much I like Bulletproof™ matcha green tea.  (Awesome with some vanilla protein powder, by the way.)

Depositphotos_matcha

Before trying it, I didn’t believe that it could possibly keep me satisfied for hours.  Even with a tablespoon of butter.

Well, damn if it doesn’t!!

I have to admit, I’m really starting to enjoy starting my day this way, not looking for solid food until noon or thereabouts….

I have been trying to avoid the whole idea of the ketogenic diet since I started this journey, but I swear I think my body is leading me to it.

I know the whole idea is controversial for a lot of people, but I can tell you that my body is sending very strong hints that it does not love the carbs.

(I recently tried an experiment to test how my body reacted to its first major sugar exposure in months.  I’ll save the details for the next article.  Spoiler alert:  It wasn’t pretty.)

In any event, it seems my body prefers fat to sweet – oh yeah, she loves her chocolate, but only the hard-core super dark stuff….

I guess my “bulletproof vest” is green – like my favorite morning hot beverage.

Vest isometric 3d icon isolated on a white background

Now if I start losing weight without working out or watching my fat intake, I’ll really become a fan….

February 9, 2016 | 7:17 pm

Nice! I recently started waiting until 11AM to have my first meal of the day and I love it. However, I’m still looking for the perfect morning beverage since I don’t drink coffee. I either have hot lemon water with coconut oil to get the fat in or bone broth. I need some more options. Thank you.

February 9, 2016 | 7:47 pm

Jace — Thanks for sharing that non-coffee option, also with some good fat, I see. Our basic recipe with a few variations is forthcoming. Debra

2. Melissa
    February 9, 2016 | 11:58 pm

Hmm, bulletproof matcha? I might be following in your footsteps here. I haven’t gotten into bulletproofing yet, but I have upleveled my butter. Thanks for bringing this back on my radar!

February 10, 2016 | 1:20 am

Melissa — Diane and I really like it, especially with vanilla protein powder. Let us know what you think if you try it! Debra

February 10, 2016 | 6:15 am

I’m a cyclical Bulletproofer. Rarely 2 days in a row. Sometimes black, sometimes with 2 monster tablespoons of butter and MCT oil. Sometimes I through in some New Zealand grass-fed way. Sometimes I go with the Yerbe Mate too. Sometimes just pure fasted state.

Ketosis can do wonders for certain people and there some other great promoters like Dr. Dom D’augostino.

You speak great wisdom by detailing the differences for men and women as well as individuals. It’s all an individual journey.

February 10, 2016 | 11:44 pm

Brad — Sounds to me like you’ve got a good system in place for yourself! If Diane elects to try the ketogenic diet, I expect she’ll do some blogging on it. You’re right as far as individual journeys — we all need to figure out what’s best for ourselves. Thanks for the comment! Debra

February 10, 2016 | 7:39 pm

Wow, I love this article. I have recently given up coffee due to its acidity and live now on green tea, herbal teas and Dandy/teeccino. Love it and my energy is so much more regular. I did try ghee and coconut oil in it a few times and loved it. I think after your article I should make it a habit. Thanks

February 10, 2016 | 11:45 pm

Andrea — Thank you for the feedback. Diane and I love Dandy & Teeccino too. Let us know how it goes, if you do decide to try to make this a habit. Debra

5. […] « OMG, I’m Getting Bulletproof… […]

6. […] mentioned in the last post that I did a little “sugar reintroduction” experiment […]