What a Difference One Word Makes

26.1.2016 | 01:40

DragonDispatches from the Divine Dragon

I had another one of those mind-blowing epiphanies this weekend….

I seem to get those a lot.

This one came about in the usual way – by listening to and learning from other people, and then letting ideas percolate in my brain.

Debra and I were watching videos from the 2014 Longevity Now Conference, which we purchased as part of an online summit early in 2015.

(Yes, we’re that behind.  And yes, that’s part of the reason I’m suffering from “Summit Fatigue” and don’t plan to tune into or purchase more than one or two this year.  We’re still catching up from last year, and the year before that….)

Anyway….

There were a lot of fantastic presentations:  Dr. William Davis (Wheat Belly), Dr. Joseph Mercola, Dr. Aubrey de Grey, Mark Robert Waldman, the always amazing Nadine Artemis (Living Libations).

Yeah, I could’ve lived without the extended 3 ½ hour Nutri-Bullet infomercial disguised as the “Masters’ Workshop,” but I digress….

I really can’t decide if David “Avocado” Wolfe is brilliant, annoying, insane, fascinating – or maybe all of the above, depending on my mood.  Sometimes what comes out of his mouth makes me see things in a whole new way – usually a good thing! – but other times … well, other times I just want him to shut up….

In any event, there was the usual emphasis on herbs and supplements, and lifestyle factors, to help us achieve longevity.

Longevity text concept isolated over white background

Speakers talked about what kind of habits and diets centenarians have, and what we can do to reach that 100-year mark ourselves.

That’s great.

But you know what?

On Sunday morning, it hit me – living to be 100 is certainly a fantastic goal, especially if you remain vibrant and healthy ‘til the end of your lifespan.

But to be perfectly honest, I’m not really interested in how long I live.

What I’m interested in is how well I live.

I want to reach the end of my days and look back to see that I lived a rich, full life – whether it’s 60 years or 112.

I want to live a good life, one filled with being of service to others, helping them achieve vibrant health and wellness.

Depositphotos_health

Perhaps even that fabled Taoist Immortal longevity….

Like I said, that’s a great goal.

But it’s not necessarily the one on which I prefer to focus.

I’m not sure it’s the one on which any of us should be focused.

I guess it depends on what you want.

Personally, I always think of the movie “Highlander,” and that exquisite, poignant lament Queen contributed to the soundtrack:

“Who wants to live forever?”

I don’t want to live forever, and I don’t have a strong desire to reincarnate for all eternity.

I’m at peace with whatever lifespan I have ahead of me, and with not knowing what the future holds.

I like the mystery of it all.

I’d rather just focus on living a good life, doing what I can to help myself and others get and stay well.

I don’t need to live forever.  Or even to 100….

I’m just grateful that I’ve already reached a half-century plus!!  My dad didn’t even make it that far.

I’ll leave immortality to the gods and demi-gods, I think, and just strive to be the best mortal human I can be….

Depositphotos_goddess

1. Vin Libassi
    January 26, 2016 | 3:07 pm

Good thoughts, Diane. Maybe I’ll be around 100 years. Big whoop. Just means you’ll have 80 year old kids living with you. Like Mr. Avocado, I’m brilliant and annoying, profound and indecipherable. I don’t think about longevity because focusing on linear time can make you feel old and produce the symptoms. How can my body be long-living when the oldest cells are just a few years old and some of them are being born right now?

If you focus on being the most alive you can be in THIS moment, you may spend less time thinking about how long you’ve been on the planet. I altered my confession to say I have 62 years experience as Vinnie, rather than I’m 62 years old, which is not only erroneous, it has dire manifestations when the body picks up on it and follows suite. My body knows it’s roughly 4 years old and it acts like it.

January 26, 2016 | 9:19 pm

Vin — You’re spot on in regard to linear time. Diane’s been onto it being non-linear for quite some years now. I think it’s every 7 years we completely turnover all of our body’s cells. Love that concept of experience rather than age (guess that’s you being “brilliant,” lol), and yes, our bodies pick up on the things we say, whether it’s out loud or just in our heads. (That “annoying” voice.) Hope that 4-year-old gets the chance to go out and play! Debra

January 26, 2016 | 8:09 pm

You speak the truth, Diane! Quality trumps quantity in just about everything I can think of. When we hyper focus on numbers, we lose touch with value. We occupy our time tallying and ignore the present moment. Live well!

January 26, 2016 | 9:20 pm

Brad — We’re all so superb about focusing on those numbers, aren’t we? Here’s to everyone’s success with living more in the present moment! Thank you for the feedback, Debra

3. Angelique
    January 26, 2016 | 11:57 pm

Bravo, a very entertaining read! I love your depiction of David Wolfe. I’ll think of you every time I hear him speak. Cheers!

January 27, 2016 | 11:46 pm

Angelique — Thank you for that feedback! Yes, I think Diane got it just right in this one. Debra

January 27, 2016 | 4:53 am

Cheers to quality over quantity. High five!

January 27, 2016 | 11:47 pm

Thank you, Jace! Debra

January 27, 2016 | 6:18 pm

Diane, this is such a great article and exactly what I think. Live life to the fullest, healthiest and happiest, as long as it lasts.

January 27, 2016 | 11:47 pm

Andrea — Thank you for the insight. Diane and I are in agreement — live the best life possible, not necessarily the longest. Debra

6. Marci Cooley
    February 2, 2016 | 11:40 pm

Love this…I’m a couple of years behind on the summits too!

February 3, 2016 | 1:40 am

Marci — I think there’s a lot of that going around. Seems like every time I turn around I’ve got emails saying there’s another summit coming up — at least one every week! Who has time?? Debra 🙂